– organized by the Otto-von-Guericke University in Magdeburg in cooperation with theOSCE Academy in Bishkek;
– financed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) with funds from the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The International Summer School “Geopolitics of Resources” will explore political, economic, social and environmental dimensions of conflicts over water, oil, and gas inSouth Caucasus and Central Asia. The central question of the summer school is whether natural resources that bind the countries of these regions together but often serve as a source for tensions can lead to regional cooperation. The format of the summer school will be a mixture of lectures and seminars in the mornings as well as additional workshops on negotiation and communication skills in the afternoons. Students will also have a possibility to participate in the simulation game. The aim of this exercise is not only to provide students with the opportunity to practice decision-making skills, but also to offer them a change of perspective, thereby gaining a better understanding of factors and dynamics involved in conflict situations.
Course Language: English
Credits: 4 credit points
Costs: Travel and accommodation expenses are covered by the programme
Who can apply?
The summer school is open to graduate and advanced undergraduate students from political science, international relations, sociology or other related areas living and studying in South Caucasus and Central Asia.
How to apply?
The application, which must include:
1. CV (max. 2 pages in English)
2. Transcript of grades (in English or in Russian)
3. Letter of interest of 300-400 words (in English)
4. Essay of 600-800 words (in English) on one of the following topics:
-Role of Resources in Conflicts
-Water Conflict and Cooperation in Central Asia
-South Caucasus and its Energy Resources
should be sent in one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th of May 2011.